Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Last Week's Class

Even though we didn't spend last week's class at District C, the time was still spent covering quite a bit of material, including the process of teaching backwards.

I think this process makes so much sense and makes things a lot more organized for yourself and for the students. By using this process, you aren't just throwing a bunch of things together, hoping the students will learn something from it and possibly leaving everyone kind of lost as a result. By working backwards, it gives you a chance to organize things better and figure out what exactly you're expecting and how exactly to get there.

I also liked the square activity we did and how each person having a role proved the point that assigning the roles also keeps things organized and a lot less chaotic. I remember some of my teachers assigning roles to group members in elementary and even middle school and from what I can remember, it worked really well. Students liked having their own assigned job and some of them took it very seriously. It just goes to show that something as simple as assigning each person a specific job can make things more organized for the class as a whole and also be something the students think is fun and interesting.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that backwards design is the best approach to lesson planning, and one of the most intelligent things I have ever been presented, despite it being so simple and I can't wrap my head around the fact I have never considered it before. Looking at my own education I can see where a teacher has probably practiced backwards design and where they haven't because the activities have no real purpose. I'm just really excited to use background design.

    On the square activity, I really enjoy learning techniques through experiencing them. Using assigned jobs really causes students to get into the activity and they can own that job because it is theirs and theirs alone. I'm just getting more excited on using cooperative learning with the more that I am exposed to it. It always seems so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assigning roles is a helpful tool for both student and teacher. Ariana, I agree that it creates a more organized environment. Everyone has a specific job, something that also does two important things for the class. First, if students are given a certain amount of responsibility, they're more likely to work harder. Think about it. If you know that your group is depending on you, you're going to make sure you do what is asked of you, if for no reason other then to not let them down. Also, students are more likely to take on their natural roles when put into groups. The aggressive "leader" will do most of the work, while others may not be as assertive. Assigning roles give every student the opportunity to play a major role in the success of the group, allowing students who may be shy or less likely to apply themselves a chance to show their skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am impressed by the concept of backwards design in lesson planning. I also agree with Nathan in that I was perplexed that I had never come across or been introduced to this concept. I love the quote given at the beginning of UbD Chapter 1: "To begin with the end in mind means to start with a clear understanding of your destination." To me, it just makes so much sense. If you know what task, skill, or concept you want your students to achieve or obtain, the only thing left to ask yourself is “How do we get there?” Teaching students with clear knowledge of what you expect them to attain from the lesson gives you as the teacher, as well as your students, distinct, realistic goals. Students then have knowledge of the lesson’s purpose and have a clear understanding of what is expected of them.

    ReplyDelete